Shape Your World

Today was election day. Voting used to be a privilege only granted to a select few, and there are still many places around the world where people are fighting, and even dying for, the right to vote. But here in Canada, it's a freedom that is often taken for granted. In 2008, only 58.8% of Canadians exercised their right to vote! I admit, I was one of the 41.2% of Canadians who didn't participate, BUT, in my defence, I was out of the country and didn't really know what was happening politically here (not a super great excuse, but it's all I got!). While I'm at it, I might as well confess that I've actually never voted. Until today.

In the past few weeks leading up to the election day, I was anxiously trying to figure out who I was going to vote for. In the past I haven't really cared about politics and who becomes Prime Minister. In short here was my philosophy: God's in control. Daniel 2:21 says that "He removes kings and raises up kings," so I figured that God would let the best man for the job get elected. Besides, every Prime Minister seems to be the same - they make a bunch of promises, most of which don't happen once they're elected, so does it really matter who I vote for? And if I don't vote then I can't be upset when that person doesn't make it in, or if the person I voted for gets in and does a terrible job - I'm simply not responsible for any of it. And really, how much does my one little vote really matter? ......Not the best attitude nor the soundest reasoning, but that's where I stood.

Back in September when my roommates & I moved in together, we took up residence in the Vancouver-South riding. It turns out that this riding is the most competitive riding in BC and the 2nd most competitive in all of Canada. In the 2008 elections, the Liberal party lost by only 20 votes! So...... my vote really does make a difference here.

But who to vote for? Not knowing much about any of the parties or who was running, I started doing a little research on the two major ones. I read up on their differing views on major topics such as national defence, the economy, immigration & multiculturalism, law & order, taxes, etc. I enjoyed the research - quite enlightening - but the more I read, the more I realized I didn't really like the options I had to choose between. We have more choices than the States, but more choices aren't really helpful if they aren't good ones.

Here were my choices:
* I could vote Conservative, keeping in the current PM, who hasn't made all the best decisions, but he's brought Canada solidly through an economic recession in which other countries have suffered greatly.
* I could vote Liberal, brining in "change" by some guy who I'd never heard of until less than a month ago.
* I could've cast a protest vote for one of the minority parties - the New Democratic Party, the Green Party, or the Marxist-Leninist Party (which I didn't realized existed until I got my ballot).
OR
* I could've submitted a blank ballot to say, "I value my right to vote, but none of you are worthy choices."

Like I said, I didn't have great options. I agonized over the decision and dreaded the dawning of this day. I still didn't even know what my choice would be when I arrived at the polling station and was handed my ballot. I don't know if I made the right decision, but I cast my ballot, made a decision, and hopefully, it'll be one that'll help shape my world in a positive way.

Comments

Ronald said…
I'm glad you voted. It helps you think about the impact you have around you. I look forward to talking politics when we get back ;)
Mai said…
Yeah, it'll be good to have someone to talk Canadian politics with, it'll help me stay informed.

Popular Posts