Blue Bird
While I was out in Alberta, chin deep in papers and textbooks, my loyal roommates were here at home practically going door-to-door looking for a new place for us to move in to. Our current lease ends August 31 and our current landlords don't want to renew another full year's lease. (Plus, we've had 3 landlords over the course of the past year because the house was constantly for sale, so we're kinda fed up with it even though we love our current house and wish we didn't have to move.)
The hunt for a new house was becoming discouraging - nothing seemed up to par for the price we were looking for, and I felt helpless being too far away to help my roommates. After summer school, I rushed back to Vancouver in a stressed panic, not just about our housing situation, but because I'm leaving for Kenya on Tuesday! When I arrived Wednesday night, I went straight to meet my roommates at a possible rental house....... it was not even close to what we were looking for. I could sense my roommmates' discouragement and as soon as I got home, I got on the internet and started looking for possibilities. Before midnight, I had emailed 6 people and by 10am the next morning I had 6 houses lined up to see.
Long story short, there are a lot of dumpy houses out there - some that make your skin crawl from the amount of dirt and grime. But, somehow, by the 3rd house that I looked at, I sensed it was something that we should not let get away from us. Only 24 hours after first stepping foot inside, we were signing our names on the dotted line and handing over a year's worth of postdated checks!
I'm leaving for Kenya in about 80 hours (!), but the plan is to get all my stuff packed up and ready to go so my roommates just have to move it for me. When I leave for Kenya on Tuesday morning, I will walk away from my current home, never to return. It's bitter-sweet. After Kenya, there'll be a new house waiting for me to make it my home. But I have so much to be thankful for - somewhere to live when I return, awesome roommates that are so helpful, I get to live with another good friend and my goddaughter, and I get to spend the next 3 weeks in Kenya. God is so good :)
My new house and the 2 new roommates that I'm gaining!
The living room which is the first thing you see (to the left) when you walk in the front door.
The Kitchen!!! Big & lots of storage - love it! Much time will be spent here with lots of yummy food to be had - can't wait!
The balcony just outside the kitchen & dinning room
The downstairs living/family room


Comments
Nice new place by the way.