Teaching the Pre-Primary Class

I've taught 3rd & 4th graders, which I loved. Now I'm currently teaching middle-schoolers, which I never thought I'd never be able to do, and yet somehow, I actually enjoy it! But, pre-schoolers...... really?

While I was at the orphanage in Kenya, they were on one of their school breaks, but the pre-primary class was behind on some of their curriculum, so I sat down with Sarah, one of the volunteers at EAMO, and sifted through the curriculum looking for fun ways that we could help them catch up and get back on track. We focused on Socials, Science, and Art since they were on break and we wanted to keep it fun. Below are a few pictures of the awesome lessons that we were able to come up with despite our limited resources!


We taught them all about body parts of animals, birds and people. This is Jessie, the little guy that would periodically run away because he missed living on the street :( He has such a bright mind and, as you can see in this picture, he was super excited about learning! I hope his desire for learning keeps him at the orphanage so he has a chance at an education and a future!!

Jackie, naming the body parts of a bird.

Our mostly attentive pupils, with the help of some of the older girls

Making beads so we could later paint them and make mobiles

Waiting for the beads to dry & the egg shells to dye, which would later be used for mosaics

Painting the beads!!


This activity incorporated tracing practice into our lesson about body parts!!


Hanging out with some of the girls during the tracing lesson.

Story time!


We made paper airplanes to practice folding things and learn about flying/aerodynamics! Then we had so much fun flying our planes! :)

Sweet Jessie, again.

Precious Carla!

My whole brood of beautiful children!

Teaching pre-school and helping in the nursery kinda made me want to work with younger children...... who knows, maybe one day! But for now, I'm happy to have 65 pre-pubescent middle-schoolers to deal with ever day!

Comments

Popular Posts