Re-Creating Bethlehem Town

This year, instead of doing a regular Christmas program, we decided to transform part of our school into Bethlehem - the market place, the stables for the nativity scene, and the temple (in Jerusalem). It was a huge production and lots of work, but it turned out so great!

Somehow, I agreed to making candles with my students so we could be the "Candle Merchants" in the Bethlehem market place. It seemed like a good idea when I agreed to it, but then I started getting worried about it - 25 students & hot wax don't seem like such a good idea. The whole process was pretty stressful and we even had 2 small fires, but other than that the candles turned out great, and were a hit in the market place!


Starting to dip the wicks

About 40 dips later, they were ready to colour them

The finished product - they made 94 sets!

Here's a quick "tour" through our version of the Bethlehem town......

Our Candle-Making booth..... I was even doing a live demonstration.

Some of my students at work

Some other shops in the market.....

A temple scene

The final vignette - the real reason for His birth.

It was a BUSY place!!! A great turn out and lots of fun!

Comments

what a great idea to have a candle making booth! they came out so nice! :-)
Sean said…
Very original concept for the Christmas program. It reminds me of the opener for the GO'97 Missions Conference. Babs and I were dating then, and she was in charge of creating this huge "Global Marketplace" that reprsented for major mission fields in the world. Very reminiscent of your Bethlehem Town.

Popular Posts