Re-Creating Bethlehem Town

This year, instead of doing a regular Christmas program, we decided to transform part of our school into Bethlehem - the market place, the stables for the nativity scene, and the temple (in Jerusalem). It was a huge production and lots of work, but it turned out so great!

Somehow, I agreed to making candles with my students so we could be the "Candle Merchants" in the Bethlehem market place. It seemed like a good idea when I agreed to it, but then I started getting worried about it - 25 students & hot wax don't seem like such a good idea. The whole process was pretty stressful and we even had 2 small fires, but other than that the candles turned out great, and were a hit in the market place!


Starting to dip the wicks

About 40 dips later, they were ready to colour them

The finished product - they made 94 sets!

Here's a quick "tour" through our version of the Bethlehem town......

Our Candle-Making booth..... I was even doing a live demonstration.

Some of my students at work

Some other shops in the market.....

A temple scene

The final vignette - the real reason for His birth.

It was a BUSY place!!! A great turn out and lots of fun!

Comments

what a great idea to have a candle making booth! they came out so nice! :-)
Sean said…
Very original concept for the Christmas program. It reminds me of the opener for the GO'97 Missions Conference. Babs and I were dating then, and she was in charge of creating this huge "Global Marketplace" that reprsented for major mission fields in the world. Very reminiscent of your Bethlehem Town.