Who I Want To Be:

Another high priority on my Christmas "to-do" list was to finish writing my personal mission statement. Part of the "Leader in Me/7 Habits of Highly Effective People" program that we've adopted at school, is to come up with a mission statement to help guide the path your life will take, because if you don't know how you want to live or where you want to end up, guaranteed, it won't happen for you.

I've been wrestling with it for awhile, wanting it to be well thought out and meaningful. I even dragged the book all around Africa with me last summer hoping to work on it. On my way back, I had a 12-hour layover in Qatar and I was trying to get some sleep in one of the "Quiet Rooms". Tossing and turning, my mind was still at work and in a few moments, I came up with the skeleton of what would become my current missions statement. I finally found the time to flesh it out and refine it into what it is now.

This is how I want to live my life. This is the person I want to be. It's a pretty high standard and a lot to live up to, but that's why I'm posting it, so others can hold me accountable to it.

My Mission Is To...

  • Seek God Passionately:
    I will make it my life's work to seek God passionately and to never stop until I know Him intimately.

  • Serve Humbly:
    I will live a life of selfless and humble service to others. Every thought and action will be centred on how I can better someone's life or lessen their load.

  • Listen Sincerely:
    I will make time to listen to friends and loved ones who need someone to talk to. I will listen with out pretending, judging, advising, or problem solving.

  • Accept Openly:
    I will not allow physical appearance, socio-economic status, race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or past choices determine how I treat a person. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect and dignity.

  • Love Unconditionally:
    I will continue to love even when I have been hurt, betrayed, lied to, disrespected, undermined, cheated on, and embarrassed. Love is a choice and I choose to give it, even when I know it will not be returned.

  • Live Fully:
    I will live to the fullest in every aspect of my life – physically (by staying active and healthy), socially (by staying connected with the important people in my life), mentally (by reading and learning new skills and information), and spiritually (by growing in God and keeping Him the centre of my life).

  • Strive Higher:
    I will continue to seek improvement in every area of my life. When I feel as if I have “arrived”, I will know I have become stagnant and must search for ways in which to improve and grow.

Comments

Lizzy said…
This is beautiful, Mai!
Sean said…
I admire you so much, Mai.

Popular Posts