Dancing with the Master
I like trying new things, learning new skills, expanding my experiences. My roommate Chans is usually on board with these adventures. Last year, we signed up for boot camp classes and enjoyed getting our butts kicked on a regular basis! This year we found a promotion for beginner ballroom dance classes - waltz, fox trot, cha cha, samba & jive.
Last week, we finally made it to our first class, a little unsure of what to expect. We were told we didn't need to bring our own male dance partner; there were usually enough guys to go around. I was a little skeptical about that and worried that I'd be dancing by myself, or worse - Chans & I would have to partner up! But, sure enough, when we were told to pair up, there was an old little Chinese man, who barely spoke much English, making a bee line in my direction with a giant grin on his face. It wasn't long until he was sweeping me around the dance floor somewhat confidently and occasionally incorrectly, but I was happy to have a partner.
Our dance master was a warm, charming man from down-under. At one point during the class, he pulled me into the middle of the ballroom to demonstrate one of the techniques he was teaching us. His hands were warm, his stance was perfect and he lead me so gracefully and expertly around the dance floor showing everyone how easy it was.
I liked dancing with the master, he made it so easy, natural. I also learned a few other lessons from dancing with the master:
- He knows where you're going, you don't have to worry about it.
- You have to be just a second behind the Master, so you can figure out where He's leading you, otherwise you'll be out of step, doing your own thing, and it won't look good.
- It doesn't matter if you're in step with everyone else on the dance floor, as long as you're in step with the Master.
These are such important lessons on the dance floor, and in life!


Comments