Kavanah

In my small group, we've been reading the book Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus together (by Ann Spangler & Lois Tverberg).  It takes a look at many of the Jewish customs and traditions at that time in order to give us a broader understanding of some of the things that Jesus said and did while He was on earth.  One concept they shared is called "kavanah" which literally means "intention" or "direction", a way to practice the presence of God during prayer or any other part of your life.  "The word conveys the idea of being profoundly aware of the One to whom you are speaking as you direct your heart toward heaven" (p. 85).

As I pondered the concept of "kavanah" I realized that being in awe and aware of God is kind of like flying over the Red Wood forest... From afar, it's big, vast, pretty impressive, but still it just looks like a forest with lots of trees.  If you were to drive through the forest in a car, it's even more impressive, but still nothing compared to standing right at the base of one of the trees, trying to stretch yourself to wrap your arms around it.  Only then can you fathom it's greatness, vastness, massiveness.... and your smallness.


Sometimes, I feel far away, way up in a plane, not knowing how to land so I can make my way to the base of the Tree.

Yesterday during the sermon at campmeeting, the pastor asked us to think of our favourite story of Jesus in the Gospels.  Then he asked, "In that story, was Jesus kind?"  Of course, the resounding answer was "Yes!"  But then he went on to share several stories where the person's encounter with Jesus wasn't kind, such at Saul's encounter on the road to Damascus.  It was this not-so-nice encounter that turned Saul's life around.  The pastor concluded by saying: "Too often we just want a nice encounter with Christ, but what we really need is one that will break us and leave us at His feet, humbled, and ready to be used by Him."

I'm almost afraid to pray for this kind of encounter, but I think it's what I need to find my way to the base of the Red Wood tree.


Comments

just jess said…
Awesome Mai, I can totally relate, you tree hugger!
Sean said…
Great analogy, Mai. Wish you were here in Portland with us!

Popular Posts