Approaching the Almighty

The sequence of photos below might merely appear to be a fun romp in a waterfall, but it was much more than that......



The neat thing about Mooney Falls was that, despite being such a massive, powerful waterfall, it is easily approachable because the pool at it's base is only knee deep.  So, we joined hands, curious to see how close we could get.  As we got closer, the mist increased and it's self-created wind picked up.  It got darker.  Colder.  With each step, these elements intensified.  It felt like we were in the midst of a turbulent storm; it seemed to consume us.  We weren't even under the falls yet, but it was much too powerful to continue on; to do so would be dangerous.  As we retreated, I was in awe at the feelings inspired by this encounter - I felt like I had experienced a tiny glimpse of what it must be like to approach the Almighty!

Despite being such a massive, powerful God, He has made Himself approachable to us - lowly, finite humans.  I don't know what it's like to be drawn into close proximity with God like some of the prophets experienced in the Bible, but I would imagine that everything would intensify in His presence.  One could not help but feel the power and majesty radiating from Him!  However, as long as we are sinful human beings, there will always remain a point beyond which we cannot cross; to do so would be dangerous, even deadly.  Just as Moses wasn't able to see God's face and live, we can only experience a certain amount before we would be completely consumed by His holiness.  But with God, we don't have to retreat - He invites us to remain in His presence and continue to experience His power!  I'm thankful that we serve a God that has made Himself approachable and desires to commune with us!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautifully written and explained. Inspiring description of what it is like as humans to be in the presence of Majesty and Power. Thank you.
Sean said…
Beautiful analogy, Mai.

Popular Posts