Abraham: Wait and Trust

Chapter 2 of Sacred Waiting delves into the incredible story of Abraham. Timms starts right at the beginning of the story where Abram and Sarai are first mentioned - Sarai is barren and they both are already getting up in years. That's when God commands them to pick up and leave everything that's familiar to them. "To this barren couple, it might have felt like the last straw. Nothing had worked thus far. The infertility persisted. Sarai did not become pregnant. But perhaps a major act of obedience would open the gates of blessing - and the start of a family" (p.37). We don't know if that was the reason they decided to go, but "Abram clearly recognized the voice of the Lord (presence) and stepped out in faith (service) even though the Lord had not revealed the whole plan" (p.38).

Off they go, in an unknown direction to an unknown destination. It's uncertain how long they traveled before settling in Hebron, but time continues to slip by and still no baby. "How confusing and frustrating it must have been.  It's hard to lay aside our heart's longing and trust the Lord's goodness.  It's hard to watch the golden opportunities slip away" (p.38).  If it would have been me in that situation, I think I might have began to lose hope, or think that perhaps I had misinterpreted God's promise.  "They had waited on God for so long (listening to Him and serving Him) - long enough to lose hope; long enough to give up... But despite all appearances to the contrary, God had not forgotten about Abram and Sarai" (p.39, 40).

How often is is true that while we are waiting for something, waiting for a promise to be fulfilled, that we become so caught up with the outcome that we forget the One who is working to bring it about?  "Subtly, imperceptibly, we fall deeper in love with the promise than with the One who makes the promise.  We fantasize about the gift rather than the Giver.  We spend so much time imagining what life will be like that we fail to live life as it is.  Our future blinds us to our present blessings" (p.40).  I know that I am guilty of this way too often - I miss out on the present because I'm trying to live in the future.  It's not always easy, but I know I need to keep my eyes on God, rather than on what I want Him to do in my life.  "Our faith has to be in Him, not in some desired outcome" (p.41).  The same was true for Abraham - "as he released that which had consumed his heart - and waited on the Lord - he received that which the Father always intended" (p.41).

The hardest lesson to learn and to practice is the concept of living with open hands.  "We must let go of what we love most in order to gain what He wants for us... For Abraham, on outcome of waiting on God meant holding things lightly, not tightly.  Waiting on God required trust, even when death itself was just a stroke away.  It meant open hands at all times" (p.44, 45).  We must be willing to give up whatever God asks of us.  This requires full-time faith, complete surrender.  "Those who wait on Him must do so at His pleasure (always), not at our whim (periodically)" (p.47).

This is not easy for us to do.  We live in a time where we are so independent and comfortable; we think we don't need anyone or anything.  However, "never has there been a greater need for full-time faith.  It sounds extreme and demanding.  The notion of utter self-abandonment and God-trust in every area of our lives sits uneasily amidst the clutter of our comforts and plans... Abraham's own story illustrates that nothing can be exempt from this full-time faith journey.  We cannot hide a few cherished items for our own discretion.  Every gift from God remains His.  And the process of learning to wait on the Father (drawing closer to Him and serving Him) requires that we also lay our best and our all on the alter before Him" (p.47, 48).

The hardest part for me is learning how, and being willing, to give up what I want so that God can do what He wants in my life.  I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that His plans and His dreams for my life are so much better than what I could ever imagine for myself.  Yet, often I still hold on tightly and desperately to my own plans and dreams.  "Do we trust His goodness sufficiently to release our dreams into His care?  It may feel every bit as painful as the barrenness of Sarai or the Mount Moriah moment of Abraham, but blessings come to those who wait on the Lord.  Abraham's story calls us to deep trust in the plan, the provision, and the promises of God.  Do we have that trust?" (p.49, 50).

"God of comfort who understands my fear and pain, grant me the strength to wait on you when disappointment or anxiety threaten to blind me to your Presence.  Open my eyes to better see you and my heart to better trust you.  Amen" (p.36).

Comments

Sean said…
This is exactly where I am too in my journey. Learning to trust in the Giver more than the gift.

Popular Posts