Pain & Peace
Death is such a peculiar concept - one moment a person is, the next moment he ceases to be. How are our finite minds supposed to comprehend such a thought.
A long, drawn out, and painful death is never enjoyable, but it gives the gift of time, allowing family and friends the time to process, prepare, ask forgiveness, spend quality time, or whatever else is necessary. Last week, Wednesday June 26, Manuel Silva, my beloved pastor and the parent of a couple of my students was finally laid to rest after an extended and exhausting battle with cancer. Although it was sad to let him go, it was also a bit of a relief and blessing, knowing he was no longer suffering. My eyes mist up now and then when I think about his daughter not having her father to walk her down the aisle or his son not having a male role model during his formative years. But on the whole, I was prepared and at peace with his passing.
On the other hand, an instant, shocking, life-shattering death is a totally different beast. There's no time to say final words, let them know you love them, make amends, or anything else that you wish you had time for. This morning, one of my dad's younger brothers, my Uncle Charlie, passed away unexpectedly. No one saw it coming, no one had time to prepare, it just..... happened. I can't even remember the last time I saw him or talked to him. It has shaken me to the core to see firsthand how quickly a life can be snuffed out, and how vital it is to hold your loved ones close and make sure they know what they mean to you. This sort of death is gonna require a lot more tears in order to wash away the pain......
The only confort is knowing that we have a God we can turn to. "Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand" (Isaiah 41:10). "So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a while" (1 Peter 1:6).
A long, drawn out, and painful death is never enjoyable, but it gives the gift of time, allowing family and friends the time to process, prepare, ask forgiveness, spend quality time, or whatever else is necessary. Last week, Wednesday June 26, Manuel Silva, my beloved pastor and the parent of a couple of my students was finally laid to rest after an extended and exhausting battle with cancer. Although it was sad to let him go, it was also a bit of a relief and blessing, knowing he was no longer suffering. My eyes mist up now and then when I think about his daughter not having her father to walk her down the aisle or his son not having a male role model during his formative years. But on the whole, I was prepared and at peace with his passing.
On the other hand, an instant, shocking, life-shattering death is a totally different beast. There's no time to say final words, let them know you love them, make amends, or anything else that you wish you had time for. This morning, one of my dad's younger brothers, my Uncle Charlie, passed away unexpectedly. No one saw it coming, no one had time to prepare, it just..... happened. I can't even remember the last time I saw him or talked to him. It has shaken me to the core to see firsthand how quickly a life can be snuffed out, and how vital it is to hold your loved ones close and make sure they know what they mean to you. This sort of death is gonna require a lot more tears in order to wash away the pain......
The only confort is knowing that we have a God we can turn to. "Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand" (Isaiah 41:10). "So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a while" (1 Peter 1:6).




Comments
I found it interesting that our finite minds have trouble accepting death. It's almost as if our minds were actually built for the infinite, for eternity and it's the ending that seems dissonant.
Hope you are doing well, my friend.