No Presents for Christmas

I went to the dentist this week.  The receptionist, attempting to engage in small-talk while getting me checked in, asked: "Have you done all your Christmas shopping?" I said, "No."  She asked why not.  After pausing to think about how to answer without having to explain myself, I simply said I had been really busy (which is true, but not actually the reason).  The receptionist carried on explaining who she had already gotten gifts for, and that she only had stocking stuffers left to purchase - she seemed so pleased with herself that she was almost finished, but I felt exhausted just listening to her talk about it.  Truth be told, I hadn't started.  I hadn't even stepped in a single mall or browed online looking for any gifts..... and I wasn't planning on it!

When I got ushered in to the dental chair, the hygienist asked the same question.  This time I happily replied, "Yes," realizing that was the more honest and accurate answer.

I love the Christmas season - pumpkin pie, ginger cookies, cider and peppermint hot chocolate.  I love the cheerful music and driving slowly through neighbourhoods just to look at the beautiful lights!  I love having time off and spending it with family, friends, and this year - my husband!!

But the one thing I truly don't like about Christmas...... all the presents.  I mean, I like presents; I think every one appreciates a thoughtful gift, but I don't like the expectation of presents - the feeling like you have to get someone something just because that's what we do at Christmas.  I'd rather give someone something anytime throughout the year when I see something they need or would truly appreciate.  Why wait until Christmas?

A great example of the obligation of the Christmas-giving frenzy we get into is the giant pile of chocolate we received from my students yesterday...
I appreciate the gesture, but honestly - what are we supposed to do with all of that?!?  We'll definitely be keeping the staff room well stocked in January!!  Personally, I'd rather receive a thoughtfully written card expressing appreciation.  Anyways.... end of that rant.

Early in December, Matt and I checked in with each other to make sure we were on the same page about the upcoming holidays this year.  We were: no presents.  One thing we agreed on early in our relationship was that we'd rather spend money on experiences, doing things together, and creating memories, instead on stuff.  Things come and go - they get lost, thrown out, and forgotten about, but memories are forever.

It feels good to hear people talking about everything they still have to get on their Christmas shopping lists and know that we don't have to do any of that!

Whatever you choose to do this Christmas, I pray you enjoy the time spent with family and make lots of memories that you can treasure for years to come!!

P.S. We're headed down to Mexico to make memories this Christmas!!  :)

Comments

Ali said…
Mai Rhea, I so appreciate this post! Thank you for taking the time to write it. As each year goes by, I notice how much more I dislike the gearing up to Christmas. I love giving presents to people that I know they'll love, but I hate that our society dictates that we give these presents at birthdays and Christmas only. I'm working on making my gifts to others really meaningful, and asking for experiences for myself from those who really do want to give me something. Thanks for the reminder that we don't always have to just follow what is considered "right" in our society!

Popular Posts