Memories
Today's topic: 3 random childhood memories.
For some reason, I have some huge blank spots in my childhood memories. I remember things, especially if we have pictures about it, but there are lots of things that I can't seem to easily recall, or it takes a fair bit of reflecting or prompting..... But here are a few random memories I was able to bring up and write about:
1. When I was young, I struggled to keep my bedroom clean. Things would just pile up on the table in my kitchen play area. Every so often, I would dump everything that wasn't in its proper place into a huge pile on the floor, and then slowly work at putting things away until the pile was gone..... usually taking several days to get through it all! One time as I was doing this, I got to the bottom of the pile - everything was finally back in its proper place - and I realized that my special new doll that I had received for Christmas was nowhere to be found! I searched and searched, but couldn't find her anywhere! I didn't dare tell my mom because I knew that I would be in trouble for loosing her. I'm not sure what time of year this happened, but it felt like months and months went by and I was sure that I had lost her forever. The following Christmas, as we were opening gifts, I was shocked to unwrap my very same doll that I had "lost" - I couldn't figure out what had happened! It turns out that my mother had confiscated her since I wasn't keeping my room clean. She wanted to teach me a lesson about what happens when you don't take good care of your things!
2. I have some pretty vivid memories about the sorts of things my brothers & I would get into when we were left home alone. Often we would make apple crisp topping - just the topping - and eat it by the spoonful. Once, I ate almost a whole bag of pastel-coloured mini-marshmallows; I got so sick that I threw it all up and now can't eat marshmallows unless they're roasted over a campfire. When my parents were gone, that's the only time we'd get to watch our favourite cartoons, particularly Inspector Gadget and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. And a few times, we cleared the lazy-susans off the kitchen table to see how fast we could get spinning if we sat on them! Fun times indeed!! :D
3. I have very fond memories of the time spent with cousins during Christmas or summer holidays. We would often take long, cross-country road trips to visit family either in New York or Florida. If we were in New York, there was always shopping, skating in Central Park, watching the ball drop on New Year's Eve. If we were in Florida, there was swimming in the pool or fishing in the pond. No matter where we were, there aways was amazing food cooked by all the aunties, card games and board games with the cousins, Indian movie marathons, and massive sleepovers with everyone sprawled across the living room floor. Great memories!
For some reason, I have some huge blank spots in my childhood memories. I remember things, especially if we have pictures about it, but there are lots of things that I can't seem to easily recall, or it takes a fair bit of reflecting or prompting..... But here are a few random memories I was able to bring up and write about:
1. When I was young, I struggled to keep my bedroom clean. Things would just pile up on the table in my kitchen play area. Every so often, I would dump everything that wasn't in its proper place into a huge pile on the floor, and then slowly work at putting things away until the pile was gone..... usually taking several days to get through it all! One time as I was doing this, I got to the bottom of the pile - everything was finally back in its proper place - and I realized that my special new doll that I had received for Christmas was nowhere to be found! I searched and searched, but couldn't find her anywhere! I didn't dare tell my mom because I knew that I would be in trouble for loosing her. I'm not sure what time of year this happened, but it felt like months and months went by and I was sure that I had lost her forever. The following Christmas, as we were opening gifts, I was shocked to unwrap my very same doll that I had "lost" - I couldn't figure out what had happened! It turns out that my mother had confiscated her since I wasn't keeping my room clean. She wanted to teach me a lesson about what happens when you don't take good care of your things!
2. I have some pretty vivid memories about the sorts of things my brothers & I would get into when we were left home alone. Often we would make apple crisp topping - just the topping - and eat it by the spoonful. Once, I ate almost a whole bag of pastel-coloured mini-marshmallows; I got so sick that I threw it all up and now can't eat marshmallows unless they're roasted over a campfire. When my parents were gone, that's the only time we'd get to watch our favourite cartoons, particularly Inspector Gadget and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. And a few times, we cleared the lazy-susans off the kitchen table to see how fast we could get spinning if we sat on them! Fun times indeed!! :D
3. I have very fond memories of the time spent with cousins during Christmas or summer holidays. We would often take long, cross-country road trips to visit family either in New York or Florida. If we were in New York, there was always shopping, skating in Central Park, watching the ball drop on New Year's Eve. If we were in Florida, there was swimming in the pool or fishing in the pond. No matter where we were, there aways was amazing food cooked by all the aunties, card games and board games with the cousins, Indian movie marathons, and massive sleepovers with everyone sprawled across the living room floor. Great memories!
Cousins - almost all were present in this photo!



Comments