Misunderstood

Today’s topic: What do you think most people misunderstand most about you?

I think I often come across as unfriendly (and maybe even stuffy?). I think people misunderstand this about me for a few reasons:

1. I’m introverted and sometimes shy. Since I don’t have an overly outgoing personality, I rarely will approach new people and introduce myself. In “mix-and-mingle” settings (which I don’t love), I tend to look for and chat with people I already know and feel comfortable with. So it’s not that I’m unfriendly, it’s just that I do better when someone approaches me to start a conversation and is good at drawing me out.
2. In certain settings, I tend to be very no-nonsense, down-to-business (namely, at work). I believe that the workday is for work, and I want to get my work done at work so I can enjoy being at home. And I usually have lots to do, so I don’t spend much time chit-chatting in the office. So it’s not that I’m unfriendly, but I think my get-things-done personality tends to send an unfriendly, or perhaps even unapproachable vibe.
3. I’m a private person. I don’t share a lot of personal details with people unless they’re in my inner circle of family and really close friends. During prayer request time in staff worship or mid-week Bible study, I share about requests relating to my class or work or general life stuff, but not the personal stuff. That’s just the way it is. So it’s not that I’m unfriendly, I just don’t open up about a lot of stuff to a lot of people.

I’m sure there are other reasons contributing to this misunderstanding, but I think that these are probably the main ones. I’m definitely not one of those people who knows everybody and can strike up a conversation with anybody, but I’m not unfriendly. Here are just a couple of my closest friends that can testify to that:

Comments

You're amazing and one of the sweetest people I know 💗💗 so glad we're el bestos and that God blessed me with your friendship!

Popular Posts