The Hard Way
Today’s topic: A lesson I’ve learned the hard way
Just because something is true and looks good on your résumé, doesn’t necessarily mean you should include it.
For example, just because I know enough French to get around, doesn’t mean I should put on my résumé because it might mean having to teach a middle school French class. Or just because I have gymnastics experience from elementary school, doesn’t mean I should include it because it might mean coaching gymnastics for 6 years. Or just because I have a Master’s degree in Administration and Leadership, doesn’t mean I should include it because it might mean becoming a principal! ;)
Although these weren’t completely unbearable experiences, there have been moments where I’ve regretted including these items on my résumé. It taught me to really think about what I include, because if it’s not something that I really want to be expected to do, then I shouldn’t put it just because it looks good.
Just because something is true and looks good on your résumé, doesn’t necessarily mean you should include it.
For example, just because I know enough French to get around, doesn’t mean I should put on my résumé because it might mean having to teach a middle school French class. Or just because I have gymnastics experience from elementary school, doesn’t mean I should include it because it might mean coaching gymnastics for 6 years. Or just because I have a Master’s degree in Administration and Leadership, doesn’t mean I should include it because it might mean becoming a principal! ;)
Although these weren’t completely unbearable experiences, there have been moments where I’ve regretted including these items on my résumé. It taught me to really think about what I include, because if it’s not something that I really want to be expected to do, then I shouldn’t put it just because it looks good.



Comments