The Value of Reading

Today's topic: Something someone told you that you never forgot

When I was young, I remember my Uncle Charlie telling my brothers and I how important it was for us to read. As an immigrant to Canada he worked hard to get an education, first becoming a teacher, and then going on to become a dentist. He knew how important it was to keep your brain sharp, to expand your horizons, to explore other times, places, and ideas through the written word. He knew that if you became an adept reader, you could learn anything. He wanted to instill that value in us. So he encouraged us to read by paying us a dollar for every 100 pages we read. I admit, at first, I read for the money! During school, university, and grad school, I read out of necessity. But more recently, I've finally begun reading for pleasure and to gain knowledge about personal topics of interest. The more I read, the more I want to read, and now I'm passing it on, seeking to instill that same value in my students.

Comments

Popular Posts