This Is What I Do.
Today’s topic: Bullet point your day.
5:25 a.m. - Alarm goes off. Hit snooze. Roll over…
5:30 a.m. - Alarm goes off again….. Matt sits up, so I drag myself out of bed as well. Nestor is sitting outside our bedroom door, waiting to say good morning and get his breakfast.
5:45 a.m. - Time to exercise! We do “Day 2 Fitness Blender’s 5 Day Workout Challenge to Burn Fat & Build Lean Muscle”
6:30 a.m. - Shower, dress, get ready for work
7:10 a.m. - Breakfast is ready! Matt lovingly prepares breakfast every morning!
7:35 a.m. - Rush around frantically brushing my teeth while collecting my lunch, phone, computer, charging cords, wallet…..
7:47 a.m. - Kiss Matt & tell him I love him before running out the door
7:58 a.m. - Drop my things off in my office & classroom
8:00 a.m. - It’s my turn for morning supervision.
8:25 a.m. - Whistle blows, students line up for class.
8:30 a.m. - Morning worship with the grade 2 class begins.
8:40 a.m. - Take my students back to our side of the classroom for class to begin. This is where things get hectic….. My grade 5 students begins working on her math while my grade 3 & 4 students work on their spelling. As soon as they finish spelling, they transition to their math. All the while, I’m hopping between students, teaching mini-lessons, answer questions, and helping students stay on task.
9:50 a.m. - Morning recess. I supervise as the grade 2 class joins my students under the shade of the mango tree to play. Some line up to shoot baskets at the newly installed basketball hoop. Others weave in and out, dodging the basketball and whoever is “It” in their game of tag. I have to remind a student that if you play tag, sometimes you get caught….. no need to cry.
10:05 a.m. - Time to wash hands and head back in to class.
10:10 a.m. - Another round of leap-frog begins as I get my grade 5 student started on her English lesson while the other two continue on their math. Then the grade 4 student works on her reading assignment that she missed yesterday. After checking on the grade 5 student’s English work, it’s time for her reading lesson. Next is an English lesson for both the grade 3 & 4 students, followed by handwriting practice. Lastly, the grade 5 student begins making a comic strip to illustrate the main events in the novel that she’s reading, The Island of Blue Dolphins, a favourite of mine from when I was in grade 5.
11:40 a.m. - Students write down their homework (from me) before prayer and being dismissed to join the grade 2 class for lunch and the remainder of their afternoon classes.
11:45 a.m. - I tidy my classroom, make sure my lessons are all planned and prepped for the next day before turning off the fans and lights and heading to my office.
12:15 p.m. - Lunch!
1:00 p.m. - Principal/office duties begin - working on report cards, preparing assessment for the ESL students, and getting the staff meeting agenda ready.
2:00 p.m. - DACOM (Departmental Advisory Committee) meeting - all the heads of the various departments at the Mission get together to discuss how we can collaborate and work together on various projects. It was the first time we’ve met since getting our new Mission President, so it had been about 6 months since we all last met together.
4:30 p.m. - Staff meeting - finalizing questions about report cards which are due on Monday and going over plans for the Christmas program which is exactly 1 month away!
5:10 p.m. - Lock up my office and head home.
5:20 p.m. - Open up the whole house in an attempt to cool it down a bit & get supper going.
5:50 p.m. - Matt gets home from work & we chat with the neighbours for a bit.
6:15 p.m. - Finish making supper & sit down to eat and catch up from our day.
6:40 p.m. - Matt cleans up the kitchen while I start working on my blog.
7:10 p.m. - Time to decorate the Christmas tree! We got it set up on Sunday, but ran out of time to decorate it. Matt finds some Christmas music (it turns out we don’t have a lot of Christmas music with us & we can’t just stream music like we can back home) & I sip homemade iced apple-ginger cider while starting to add ornaments to the tree!
7:11 p.m. - Nestor comes running out of his room to cause trouble the moment he heard the Christmas lights coming out of the box. He proceeds to try to chew the tree, knock ornaments off, and unplug the lights non-stop throughout the evening.
8:40 p.m. - The tree is looking pretty good, so I finish off by putting the star on top!
8:45 p.m. - We head outside to look at the supermoon, but it’s cloudy.
8:50 p.m. - I sit down to finish my blog post.
This is what will happen after I post this:
9:30 p.m. - Shower, brush teeth & get ready for bed.
9:45 p.m. - Crawl into bed and read for a while.
9:50-10:00 p.m. - ZZZZzzzzZZZZZ…….
5:25 a.m. - Alarm goes off. Hit snooze. Roll over…
5:30 a.m. - Alarm goes off again….. Matt sits up, so I drag myself out of bed as well. Nestor is sitting outside our bedroom door, waiting to say good morning and get his breakfast.
5:45 a.m. - Time to exercise! We do “Day 2 Fitness Blender’s 5 Day Workout Challenge to Burn Fat & Build Lean Muscle”
6:30 a.m. - Shower, dress, get ready for work
7:10 a.m. - Breakfast is ready! Matt lovingly prepares breakfast every morning!
7:35 a.m. - Rush around frantically brushing my teeth while collecting my lunch, phone, computer, charging cords, wallet…..
7:47 a.m. - Kiss Matt & tell him I love him before running out the door
7:58 a.m. - Drop my things off in my office & classroom
8:00 a.m. - It’s my turn for morning supervision.
8:25 a.m. - Whistle blows, students line up for class.
8:30 a.m. - Morning worship with the grade 2 class begins.
8:40 a.m. - Take my students back to our side of the classroom for class to begin. This is where things get hectic….. My grade 5 students begins working on her math while my grade 3 & 4 students work on their spelling. As soon as they finish spelling, they transition to their math. All the while, I’m hopping between students, teaching mini-lessons, answer questions, and helping students stay on task.
9:50 a.m. - Morning recess. I supervise as the grade 2 class joins my students under the shade of the mango tree to play. Some line up to shoot baskets at the newly installed basketball hoop. Others weave in and out, dodging the basketball and whoever is “It” in their game of tag. I have to remind a student that if you play tag, sometimes you get caught….. no need to cry.
10:05 a.m. - Time to wash hands and head back in to class.
10:10 a.m. - Another round of leap-frog begins as I get my grade 5 student started on her English lesson while the other two continue on their math. Then the grade 4 student works on her reading assignment that she missed yesterday. After checking on the grade 5 student’s English work, it’s time for her reading lesson. Next is an English lesson for both the grade 3 & 4 students, followed by handwriting practice. Lastly, the grade 5 student begins making a comic strip to illustrate the main events in the novel that she’s reading, The Island of Blue Dolphins, a favourite of mine from when I was in grade 5.
11:40 a.m. - Students write down their homework (from me) before prayer and being dismissed to join the grade 2 class for lunch and the remainder of their afternoon classes.
11:45 a.m. - I tidy my classroom, make sure my lessons are all planned and prepped for the next day before turning off the fans and lights and heading to my office.
12:15 p.m. - Lunch!
1:00 p.m. - Principal/office duties begin - working on report cards, preparing assessment for the ESL students, and getting the staff meeting agenda ready.
2:00 p.m. - DACOM (Departmental Advisory Committee) meeting - all the heads of the various departments at the Mission get together to discuss how we can collaborate and work together on various projects. It was the first time we’ve met since getting our new Mission President, so it had been about 6 months since we all last met together.
4:30 p.m. - Staff meeting - finalizing questions about report cards which are due on Monday and going over plans for the Christmas program which is exactly 1 month away!
5:10 p.m. - Lock up my office and head home.
5:20 p.m. - Open up the whole house in an attempt to cool it down a bit & get supper going.
5:50 p.m. - Matt gets home from work & we chat with the neighbours for a bit.
6:15 p.m. - Finish making supper & sit down to eat and catch up from our day.
6:40 p.m. - Matt cleans up the kitchen while I start working on my blog.
7:10 p.m. - Time to decorate the Christmas tree! We got it set up on Sunday, but ran out of time to decorate it. Matt finds some Christmas music (it turns out we don’t have a lot of Christmas music with us & we can’t just stream music like we can back home) & I sip homemade iced apple-ginger cider while starting to add ornaments to the tree!
7:11 p.m. - Nestor comes running out of his room to cause trouble the moment he heard the Christmas lights coming out of the box. He proceeds to try to chew the tree, knock ornaments off, and unplug the lights non-stop throughout the evening.
8:40 p.m. - The tree is looking pretty good, so I finish off by putting the star on top!
8:45 p.m. - We head outside to look at the supermoon, but it’s cloudy.
8:50 p.m. - I sit down to finish my blog post.
This is what will happen after I post this:
9:30 p.m. - Shower, brush teeth & get ready for bed.
9:45 p.m. - Crawl into bed and read for a while.
9:50-10:00 p.m. - ZZZZzzzzZZZZZ…….




Comments