Together
Today’s topic: My love language, or in my case…. languages.
I remember learning about The Five Love Languages in high school during our Family Planning class. Since then I’ve taken the quiz several times, most recently was a few years ago with Matt, early in our relationship. We were pleased to discover that both of our #1 love language is Quality Time. And it’s been wonderful! We love spending time together, hours and hours - road tripping down the west coast, flying around the world, long hikes, weekend camping trips, or just staying home playing games or discussing sermons, articles, or podcasts together. It doesn’t matter what we’re doing, as long as we’re together!
Words of Affirmation & Acts of Service tied and came in for a close second. Again, I’m very blessed to have a husband who speaks both of these languages and is constantly building me up and giving me love in these ways as well.
Physical Touch came next, which also plays an important role in our relationship. Simply being in close proximity helps us feel connected. Most nights, we often fall asleep holding hands.
That just leaves Receiving Gifts. Although this came in last for me, it’s not that I don’t appreciate receiving gifts; in fact, a thoughtful gift tells me that the giver knows me well or was listening when I was talking. It’s just that it’s so low on my list that I rarely think of it. And I know I don’t do a very good job of loving others through this language. When there’s a wedding or birthday party or baby shower, I look forward to going and celebrating with them (quality time), so it’s usually on the way out the door when I remember that giving a gift is usually expected in these social situations! When I do give gifts, I prefer it to be because I saw something that the person would really like, rather than because it’s expected to do so at Christmas or on birthdays. Matt and I rarely exchange gifts and it’s been a relief in the past few years to not have to try to find the “perfect gift” when we already have more than we need. But when we do give “gifts,” it’s often something like going on a trip or tickets to a show - things that we can do together - which brings me back to my #1 love language: quality time!
I remember learning about The Five Love Languages in high school during our Family Planning class. Since then I’ve taken the quiz several times, most recently was a few years ago with Matt, early in our relationship. We were pleased to discover that both of our #1 love language is Quality Time. And it’s been wonderful! We love spending time together, hours and hours - road tripping down the west coast, flying around the world, long hikes, weekend camping trips, or just staying home playing games or discussing sermons, articles, or podcasts together. It doesn’t matter what we’re doing, as long as we’re together!
Words of Affirmation & Acts of Service tied and came in for a close second. Again, I’m very blessed to have a husband who speaks both of these languages and is constantly building me up and giving me love in these ways as well.
Physical Touch came next, which also plays an important role in our relationship. Simply being in close proximity helps us feel connected. Most nights, we often fall asleep holding hands.
That just leaves Receiving Gifts. Although this came in last for me, it’s not that I don’t appreciate receiving gifts; in fact, a thoughtful gift tells me that the giver knows me well or was listening when I was talking. It’s just that it’s so low on my list that I rarely think of it. And I know I don’t do a very good job of loving others through this language. When there’s a wedding or birthday party or baby shower, I look forward to going and celebrating with them (quality time), so it’s usually on the way out the door when I remember that giving a gift is usually expected in these social situations! When I do give gifts, I prefer it to be because I saw something that the person would really like, rather than because it’s expected to do so at Christmas or on birthdays. Matt and I rarely exchange gifts and it’s been a relief in the past few years to not have to try to find the “perfect gift” when we already have more than we need. But when we do give “gifts,” it’s often something like going on a trip or tickets to a show - things that we can do together - which brings me back to my #1 love language: quality time!



Comments