Breathing Freely

Sitting in a local coffee shop this morning, I was plowing through a stack of paperwork I had brought with me. Although it’s Easter break for the students and teachers, one of the “perks” of being the principal means I still get to work - yay! I wanted a change of scenery from my small dimly-lit office, so I sought out this little spot that I have often driven past, but never have had the time to check out. It’s cute - a chalkboard menu, reasonable prices, a nice variety of drinks and smoothies, local wood furnishings, eclectic trinkets lining the shelves….

Rough translation of the above photo:
Peace Coffee is a place that works together to strengthen community and thinks of the future.
One. "Peace Coffee" works together with coffee farmers in accordance with 'Fair Trade'.
Two. "Peace Coffee" strengthens community by achieving development.
Three. "Peace Coffee" provides cultural activities with youth.
Four. "Peace Coffee" is a place open for everyone.

Under other circumstances, I think it would be an endearing place to spend time working or chatting with a friend. However, as the cafe slowly filled with people, I found myself surrounded by thick smoke, no longer able to breath comfortably. At one point, I counted 12 other people in the cafe and 8 of them were smoking - some were polishing off one cigarette after another with hardly a breath in between! With every flick of a lighter and each wisp of smoke wafting my way, my annoyance rose (1).

In Canada (and many other western countries), this scenario is a thing of the past. I remember as a child watching protests on the news as laws were being put into place to ban smoking in public places, but now it’s become a respected right of all people not to have to breathe in other people’s second-hand smoke. It’s something that you don’t really even have to even think about in Canada anymore (unless you are a smoker, then you have to think about where you are allowed to smoke). Here (and many other places in this part of the world), it boggles my mind how smoking in public places is so common; there's not even a thought about how inconsiderate it is to blow your smoke in someone else’s face!

Currently, “Timor-Leste has one of the highest tobacco consumption rates in the world with over 70% of Timorese men using tobacco” (2). This seems shockingly high, although I’m sure quite it’s accurate based on my count of the people in the coffee shop this morning. I know it’s still a long way off, but as the country continues to develop, hopefully it will eventually put laws in place that allow people to breathe comfortably in public places.

So, those of you privileged to live in a place that enforces tobacco laws, don’t take it for granted! Breathe deeply, and realize that you can’t do that freely in other places of the world!

~~~~~
Notes:
(1) Just before I finally left, I was informed that the coffee shop has a no-smoking room upstairs - this is progress! And definitely good to know for next time!!
(2) http://timor-leste.gov.tl/?p=13311&lang=en





Comments

Popular Posts